Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Quaker Manuel, TSU's Newest Brainchild -a Legacy in the Making

Quaker Manuel could have gone to most any college of his choice. Members of the Harvard University admissions team flew all the way to Nashville, Tenn., to try to convince him the prestigious school should have been his academic choice. Manuel, however, had plans to attend Tennessee State University, his mother's alma mater.

Recently Manuel and his mother Sandra Patillo, sat down with representatives from TSU to talk about the importance of education and carrying on a legacy.

"We had all types of schools calling us and everyone offering their input on where I should send my son," said Patillo. "Several people told me Vanderbilt University was a better choice and he would get a great education there. I would always respond, 'what's wrong with TSU, he can get a great education there as well.' That's where I went to school and that's where he will be going."

Manuel recently graduated from Pearl Cohn Comprehensive Business Magnet School as valedictorian and distinguished scholar with a 4.0 grade point average. Like many students, Manuel took the ACT college entrance exam his junior year making a score of 31 on his first attempt.

Manuel wanted to do his best so that he would be able to help his mother cover the financial costs of school. “I felt that it was my responsibility to take that burden off my mother. I plan to continue to make her proud of me."

Manuel is a recipient of a $50,000 TSU Building Bridges Scholarship as well as scholarships from Omega Psi Phi Fraternity’s Gamma Phi Chapter and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity's Nashville Alumni Chapter.

Manuel has decided that he wants to help others by learning how to develop computer programs. He plans to enroll in the University's computer science program in the fall of 2009.

"Just like other TSU greats, such as Jesse Russell, a pioneer in the development of cellular telephone technology, hopefully you will remember my name and my legacy."

No comments:

Post a Comment